Podcast Episode #37
James Tuckerman is one of Australia’s most accomplished digital publishers. He’s an entrepreneur, angel investor, consultant, coach and public speaker. He is best known for launching Anthill Magazine, in 2003, from the spare bedroom of his parents’ home. He was then 26 years of age. In 2004 and 2005, he was named Best Small Publisher in Australia by the ABA (now Publishers Australia). In early 2009, he reinvented the Anthill business model, abandoning its print origins in favour of a 100% digital product.
In early 2009, he reinvented the Anthill business model, abandoning its print origins in favour of a 100% digital product.
Within six months, AnthillOnline.com was listed by Nielsen Online Ratings among the Top 50 Business & Finance websites in Australia (http://anthillonline.com/about-us/). Since then, he has launched numerous digital ventures and helped other companies, large and small, make the transition online or helped them significantly improve their online commercial outcomes.
Grab James’ system: The 7 Step Automated Lead Generation Process
AUTOMATING LEAD GENERATION IN 7 STEPS
Remember when sales teams would have to make cold calls directly to their prospects on a daily basis in the hopes of getting a lead? Today, all you really need is a pretty simple system like this one right here.
Step 1: Define your target audience, their problems and how your product or service will solve it for them.
- Your audience needs to be large in number, easily contactable and actively looking for your products or services.
- Suggestion! You may need to narrow your target audience to improve your conversion rate.
Step 2: Create a lead magnet / opt-in gift that is of high value for your target audience.
- Suggestion! The best, highest performing opt-in gifts do one thing: they tackle the headache of your target audience before they even know they need your products or services.
- The successful structure of a headline must be “How to go from A to B” where A is the problem and B is the solution that your product or service offers.
Step 3: Place your opt-in gift on a dedicated landing page.
- Note! Landing pages have better conversion rates compared to opt-ins put directly on your website.
Step 4: Create a customer-centric checklist for successful opt-ins.
- Use these checklists not only as a deeper form of engagement but as a powerful tool to collect extra data for your leads.
- Example: Headline “Do you have what it takes to “Insert-Your-Outcome” – complete this test/checklist to find out.”
Step 5: After completing the checklist, the prospect is taken to an ultimate online transaction (U.O.T.) page.
- U.O.T. can be an online sale, but also a coupon download or an appointment set.
- Suggestion! Use your checklist to differentiate your leads and send them to different U.O.T. pages.
- U.O.T. page is where the online deal ends, and the marketing results can be measured.
Step 6: Create an auto-responder sequence to send to all prospects who successfully opted-in on your landing page.
- The structure of the email sequence:
- Email #1 – The Promise: Send immediately after opting in, include the promised high-value gift, keep it short and straight to the point.
- Email #2 – The Welcome: Tell your story, your “why” and what you are passionate about, don’t try to sell anything.
- Email #3 – The Offer: Re-articulate the offer from the U.O.T. page or direct them back to that page.
- Email #4 – Follow up.
- Note! It takes at least 7 touch points to turn a stranger into a prospect, and then into a customer.
Step 7: Specify your traffic sources and drive traffic.
- These can be a website, social media platforms, and/or paid traffic sources like AdWords or Facebook.
- It’s recommended you utilise paid traffic sources as soon as possible. These sources are easier to turn on and off as needed and are typically more scalable.
LEADS ARE EVERYWHERE
They may not always be obvious but we all know they are everywhere. Not everyone, however, knows they can be found without human eyes — and those who do are often too scared to leave their inflow of leads up to all these tools we have online. But with a bit of planning and creative thinking, anyone can bring potential leads their way and drive them into action.